BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Obstructed by Obscurity


I've been looking for a magazine. So far, I've been unable to find it.

I don't want to read it. I just want to verify some information.

The magazine is 20 - 25 years old. Even when it was new, it wasn't in wide circulation.

I want to record with my new guitar. I determined that the first piece I would record would be the second air of Turlough O'Carolan's "Planxty George Brabazon." This is one piece that I happen to play better than anyone else.


The arrangement that I am familiar with is in an alternate tuning; an open G, I believe.

I need to verify that. It makes a lot of difference.

And it's in that magazine.

While searching for the verification of the alternate tuning to the second air of Turlough O'Carolan's "Planxty George Brabazon," I have trouble recalling the tune.

I have a piece by Carlo Calvi running through my head. It won't stop. [Note: The piece linked to here is played a bit fast.]

O'Carolan was a harpist from Ireland in the late 17th century.

Calvi was an Italian guitarist from the early 17th century.

No relation.

Just the tune is somewhat similar.

And so, my quest for a little-used tuning to play an obscure piece by a little-known composer to be found in some old and little-circulated magazine (in excellent condition!) is hampered now by another obscure composer with an even more obscure piece.

Darn the luck!

Maybe I'll just play "Blackbird" (another piece that I play better than anyone else)....

EDIT: Mystery solved! This is actually an open G tuning that's been down-tuned by a major-minor interval: B E B E G# B.
It took a lot to get to that point.
The old down-tuned open G.
I should have known....

7 comments:

Mike Lydiat said...

I have alternate tuning arrangememts of ALL Carolan's tunes in the Carolan section of my web site: http://www.docsworkshop.force9.co.uk/home.htm

My version of George Brabazon 2nd Air is in Open C, but a good programme like TablEdit would show it in any other tuning you wish

Mike

Mercutio said...

Thanks, Mike.
I'll give it a look over.
That's a very interesting site.
Looking at the pitch shown there, I am inclined to believe that this is indeed an open G.

And I would like to say thank you for your effort in compiling that prodigious body of work.

You can never tell when someone like me will for get what tuning to play something in....

Mercutio said...

I've looked this over, and what I've been doing is something very different; especially so at the change.

The photo shows a copy of a midi file that I had written exactly the way as I played it.
However, I was down-tuning to a C# at the time.
So, I'm not sure if this is a down-tuned version in the midi file.

The whole thing is played at 5th fret, with the exception of the change.
From what I remember, the 1st string would have to be tuned to B and the 2nd to F# for the chords to be the same.
At this point, I'm inclined to believe that this is an open D tuning that is down-tuned by a major-minor interval.

Still working on it.
I couldn't figure out why a piece in E (with G# & D#) would be played in an open G tuning (with G natural & D natural), but I think that's it.
I will post a transcription once I'm able to re-create it.

But I no longer have that Carlo Calvi running through my head.
It's Planxty Megan Morgan now.

That TablEdit program appears rather useful.
I had been working on arranging a number of pieces, some 3 dozen, for mandolin.
It looks promising.

lindsaylobe said...

I trust you enjoy your guitar playing with such elegant music and presumably interesting arrangements. Christmas time for me is one in which i'm immersed in music – singing at both evening and midnight masses a mixture of carols, hymns and melodies.
One piece we really like – in the mid the bleak mid winter - by Harold Darke- which I thought you may be familiar?
Best wishes

Mercutio said...

These days, others tend to enjoy my music more than I do. Most of it seems like a chore rather than something pleasurable.
I grew up hearing the Spanish guitar. It was so common that I tuned it out. Spanish guitar is the Muzak of New Mexico.
But these days, I find it to be relaxing and pleasant.
My interest in baroque and folk song have other sources. I will elaborate later. That could open a good discussion.
At any rate, I'm not so much of a singer, although there are things that I do rather well. Down-tuning to C# was one of the kindest things I've ever done for my singing voice.
I'm not familiar with Harold Darke, but I will remember the name for the time when I run across it again. I do appreciate the reference.
Here's a piece you might like. It's not really a Christmas song, but it reminds me of Christmas. Parkening did two versions of this piece; one with two guitars, and one with guitar and harpsichord. This is the latter. It's by Gordon Young, an organist from Kansas; his most popular work.
I hope you enjoy it.
Merry Christmas, Lindsay.

gfid said...

merriest of christmases, shakey. musical blessings in 2010

Mercutio said...

Peace.